Here is Part 9 of Mayan Jaguar Time. In this series, Belit shares more about her discoveries as she explores her Mayan Jaguar Sign.
You’ll find links to all previous articles at the end of this page.
So, the last time we spoke about creating a sacred space. We discussed: who we are, what is a sacred space, creating intentions, finding the space, and creating our sacred space. We are now equipped to move to the next phase.
If you like, you can start by reading this article first: Creating a Sacred Space (Part 1). And then come back to this article, Part 2.
Now that we have our ideas and concepts together, we can start the fun stuff, the actual creation of our sacred space.
First, we must choose the items that we would like to include in our sacred space. To keep it simple and basic, I will give my suggestions for a sacred space.
I would suggest choosing a nice spot, like a special table or shelf to place your items. This spot, again, should be somewhere that will not be disturbed by others. The items we are using are sacred and sacred to you and should not be in general circulation or in an area that can be disturbed by others.
Next, I would suggest some type of cloth to lay on your shelf or table, in the colour of your preference. As for me, I always choose black, but this is totally up to you.
As this is a Jaguar spot, I would also recommend a Jaguar photograph or figurine. Pictures can be found online or in a good wildlife magazine. The figurines, and here I would recommend a crystal or soapstone replica.
I would say to also include a bell or tingsha, incense and candles. The bell or tingsha is good to remove negative energy that you may have brought to your sacred space or just to clear stagnant energy. The incense that you include would be a scent that is good for protection and sacred scents like sandalwood, frankincense, myrrh, jasmine or Nag Champa. Candles are good for setting the tone and creating a good atmosphere. Again, any colour candle is fine, I prefer black… You may possibly want to include something related to the earth or goddess because of Jaguar’s strong feminine energy.
This is just a simple version that you can use or make it more elaborate if you so choose.
We should set up our sacred space in the direction of North or at least facing North. I feel that the objects you include should be placed in a balanced manner, that is equal ornamentation on both sides of your space, to energetically connect us to our sacred space and keep our need for balance in line.
Creating a Ritual
Ritual. A ritual is a ceremony that consists of a series of actions that are performed in a prescribed order and often in a special place.
Our ritual is something that we will do on a regular basis and for a specific period of time (perhaps not the same amount of time every time, but at least a couple of minutes each time we visit).
Our ritual has several components:
- Our ritual will have a beginning and an ending, which can consist of sitting and calming ourselves, releasing the dramas of the day, closing our eyes and taking some deep breaths.
- Open your ritual. You can bow before entering your space, to maintain reverence. Light your incense and your candles. You can bring more sanctity to the space by clearing the energy with the sound of a bell or tingsha (small cymbals attached by a string that can be used to clear energy in ritual space, clear your head and focus your mind.)
- Give thanks. Be grateful for all that you have. Do not focus on what you may not have now or what you may want, just focus on all the beautiful things that are in your life now.
- Set your intention for the visit. It doesn’t have to be the same each time, but you should have a purpose for your meeting, even if it is just to ground after a tense day.
- Be present, as in stay in the now. Be mindful of your surroundings, that is to say, be aware of what is going on but try not to get distracted.
- Meditate. Meditate on your intent. How can you benefit from it? How will it help you? Is Jaguar speaking to you?
- Spend a few moments in silence. Take this time to tune into what Jaguar is bringing to you to help you to bring you greater peace and harmony or how to alleviate whatever issue may be bothering you.
- Give thanks again. When you feel ready, give thanks for the energy you have received, for the wisdom and the time given with higher spirits.
- Close the ritual, again by calming ourselves.
- Blow out your candles, bow again and leave your space.
Additional things we can consider for our sacred space
Journaling. This is an excellent way to remember the intentions you have created and keep track of the things that may have happened as a result of your bequest. Write down the date and time of your visit. Write your intent and then write the outcomes. This will help you to gain more control of your energy and your connection to Jaguar.
Bathe or use incense. Bathe before your ritual or at least use incense to create a field of calm energy around you
Incorporate crystals. Some crystals to use would be black obsidian, the crystal of the Jaguar. This stone is the stone of mystery, magick and protection. Obviously, a good crystal for us Jaguars. Another good choice is selenite. This a moon crystal and connects us with the energy of the moon and the divine feminine, another good choice for us Jaguars. Other good choices are black tourmaline, black onyx, jet, lava stone or any other obsidian (rainbow, gold sheen, silver sheen, mahogany or snowflake.) Or, any other crystal that resonates with you.
In these times, we have become subject to the whims and programs of others, so it is imperative that we take time, any time we can allot to grounding ourselves, as often as possible.
Believe me, even a minute will bring you peace. Cut out some of the things that do not serve you and make time to connect to your inner soul.
We can do this!!! Let’s go, Jaguar!
See you next time on Mayan Jaguar Time…
Are you a Mayan Jaguar?
If so, share some of your discoveries in the comments below.
All articles in the Mayan Jaguar Time series:
7: Creating a Sacred Space, Part 1
9: Creating a Sacred Space, Part 2
13: The Power of Silence, Part 1
14: The Power of Silence, Part 2
Do you know your Mayan Sign? Get your free report.